Thursday 11 May 2017

evaluation 5

Q5) how did you attract/address your target audience?

The main way in which I got the idea of my specific targeted audience was via doing secondary research into existing music magazines, by doing this piece of research of existing magazines of my own and other genres I had the chance to look into what codes and conventions appeal to different audience types. I also had the opportunity to look into the characters, narratives and themes that would appeal to my audience type. The targeted audience of my magazine would be young adults from the ages 16+ with no specific gender target so it Appeals to both genders. The socio-economic group would be group E as this age group would commonly stand with a student, employed or unemployed status. I have not dedicated my magazine to a specific ethnicity however, I believe British and American main streamers will definitely be attracted to my magazine. I had to follow the conventions of the R&B sub-genre in order to appeal to both R&B audiences and other similar genre audiences like Hip-Hop in order to meet their expectations. The particular audience type I wanted to attract would be men from the ages 21+, who are employed as part-time with an interest in artists of both genders of the R&B sub-genre. This is because this specific audience is most likely to purchase my magazine consistently as they are more likely to afford the magazine than an unemployed audience. I have carried out a questionnaire to gather information about my target audience and analyze what will appeal to them the most within a music magazine. The four key questions which have helped me key decisions were: the age of the participant, what music genre they are interested in, how often they purchase music magazines and the particular colour schemes that appeal to them the most. I have done this in order to ensure that I was addressing and attracting my targeted audience. One quote that I got from my open-ended questions were that, ‘Drake, Rhianna and Nicki-Minaj’ was the favorite artists of a participant. Another quote from my open-ended questions was that ‘passion and seriousness’ come into mind whilst thinking about the R&B sub-genre. The quotations from the open-ended questions gave me an idea of who to dedicate my magazine and made sure I attract the correct audience. Primary research is very important, as it will provide me with first-hand data to help me determine who would be my targeted audience and allow me to find ways that will be better to address my audience too. The criticisms that I may get might come from audiences of different genres. This will be because they are not interested in the genre of my magazine and therefore they may not like the conventions and themes that I displayed within my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment